The wait is over and today all invited guests and fellow bloggers, including the finalists attended the Singapore Blog Awards held at *SCAPE Ground Theatre Auditorium!
The theme was derby-fashion or anything inspired by horses and here is my #OOTD for the event!
Congratulations to ALL WINNERS!!! YOU GUYS TOTALLY DESERVE IT! 😀
And yes, I came in as 1st Runner-up!
We had some performance and a light refreshments for those hungry souls…like me. Heh.
Some of the prizes and freebies :
And at almost every event, what do you see nowadays?
And we had our fair-share of fun too! 😀
And the bf…playing around with the props…
You know.. I actually start to think that he has some secret aspiration……
And a group photo of all the winners!
And our super grainy selfie.
Now some post-event and contest thoughts…
Despite having won the Voting Contest which only contributes 30% to the final results, I knew I couldn’t emerge as the Winner because there were just so many strong competitors and these other contestants did an awesome job as well! In fact, I was honestly struggling with the hair stylers and I know NUTS about vlogs. We were not required to do vlogs but I thought that videos are way better for beauty tutorials compared to photos and words only. That was something I learnt in my experience in this Blog award. I know some of you guys are gonna laugh at me, saying that I’m silly, because shouldn’t that be a known fact?
Hmm, but I guess one wouldn’t really understand the difference and importance until one really experienced it for him/herself right? ;P
Anyhoo, judging on their blog posts, one can easily see how much time and effort every finalist blogger has put in for this Singapore Blog Awards Contest.
It was really no easy feat but I’m glad I didn’t allow the difficulties and tall orders to get the better of me, and that I persevered and didn’t give up! All thanks to everyone’s support and encouragement as well 🙂
This Singapore Blog Award contest has taught me several valuable skills which I have documented here. Perhaps fellow bloggers may also find these useful.
1. As mentioned, tutorials (be it beauty or not) are really easier to view by readers via videos as compared to photos and words. This is especially so if you need to teach them how to use a certain beauty tool or how to draw your eyeliners/apply eye shadows. It is sometimes difficult to put everything down in words and videos would do the trick 😉
2. This voting contest allowed me to understand better of my ‘true’ friends. Of course, this may come across as superficial and it doesn’t completely mean that those who voted (say maybe once/twice) are my ‘truest’ friends who will place me as priority before themselves…of course I am exaggerating. But you know what I mean right? What I am saying is that those who made real effort to rally for votes such as my bf, my sister and my family who conscientiously voted for me even when they were away overseas. They never stopped thinking of me. And of course to friends and even virtual ‘friends’ who did not mind me spamming them with thick-skinned messages to rally for votes. Those who have done so were those I am shocked of who they are, as in, we are not super duper close but I am really very touched that they would go the extra mile to remember to vote for me, on their own accord that is.
On the contrary, there were some friends whom I thought would well, vote for me almost every day (because making it a daily affair may seem oh-so-very-demanding…), actually did not…but I can’t tell for sure because I know there are some who voted but without telling me or replying to my messages.
And because voters are required to fill in their identification numbers, I guess that scared the shit outta some people…which I found it quite ridiculous. I mean, isn’t this the same as lucky draws? The purpose of the requirement of identification card number is not to invade your privacy although technically, it is..But apart from that far-fetched notion, it is actually for authentication and verification purpose as well as eh, to identify the winners for the lucky draw…?
There was actually an ex-classmate whom I wasn’t very close to but we have never stepped on each others’ tails (at least based on my perspective) and whose response totally shock me.
I know the prizes aren’t fantastic to some of you but I thought it’s all about helping a friend? Or at least, I thought I’m one.
Apart from having difficulty to vote, which was actually quite a simple procedure, she eventually told me “I’m not keen in the prizes.” This was after I explained to her the purpose of the requirement of the IC number..
Sigh, oh wells. Totally lost for words.
3. To be honest, I hesistated to hold giveaways to rally for votes as well as ‘likes’ for my page because it seems kinda unethical? Some may even view it to be the same as ‘buying votes’? But because I thought, since the sponsor is also giving away prizes which is very common in most lucky draw contests, I went ahead with it.
The response I must say is quite good, but that fantastic though and it did deliver some results…however, I have to make things clear that the votes of these giveaway participants were of the minority. I still relied on my family and friends for the votes.
I hesitated initially for the fear of wagging-tongues and true enough, another fellow blogger did bring a few incidents to my attention because she was gotten involved as well.
We were said to ‘buy votes’ using freebies which made us seem very despicable and unethical…and after complaining that on the social media platform, the very same person who complained also started her own giveaway to rally for votes.
Sigh, I really don’t know what to say about this…seriously.
What I learnt from this is to be careful with every action you take, especially if you are under the scrutiny of the public’s eyes…of course, it’s not that I have zero knowledge about this prior to this incident, but just that I feel the impact now after experiencing it personally.
Also, why don’t people practise what they preach?
4. Family and true friends are always the best. Need I say more?
5. Never give up. As cliche as it may sound but it is really true. I’m the kind of likes taking on challenges and truth be told, I was so frustrated with the hair styler and for a 7-min video, I took around 5h to edit it. The editing process is much worse than photo editing I must say. You will need to ensure that there are no glitch in the whole video and that it plays on smoothly throughout. Not forgetting the narration portion. I know you can actually speak to the video recorder during the video but for those who can’t multi-task especially when your hands are full and you need to concentrate on whatever you are doing (e.g. not burning yourself with the hair styler) or for those who are afraid of stuttering in front of a video camera, you can actually narrate separately and insert the voice records at any time of the video as you prefer.
For those who don’t know, I started off blogging to share with like-minded ladies who, like me, prefer reading reviews before purchasing stuffs, in particular, beauty stuffs. So I’d thought, why not share my own personal reviews with everyone else?
One thing led to another, and very soon I found myself blogging about lifestyle topics, food reviews and even sharing tips on keeping fit and losing/maintaining weight, although I am no health and fitness guru. Neither am I any professional in beauty stuffs compared to many other fabulous beauty bloggers are out there, whose passion is really applauding
Once again, thank you everyone for your generous and kind support for conscientiously voting and rooting for me! I really really appreciate it.
And I know this blogging journey has only just begun with even more exciting activities lined up ahead! 😀