They say “eyes are the windows to our soul” and more often than not, eye make up can change your whole appearance. Next to other than body parts that are accentuated with curves, men do pay attention to women’s eyes as well They can speak volume, especially with the help of make up.
Apart from wearing contact lenses that provide big-eye effects and eye shadows, one of the fundamental eye make up would be the eyeliner. Some girls just can’t leave home without eyeliner and here’s why.
Notice how the effects of eyeliner help to enhance the appearance of the eyes? Eyeliners help to create a more deep-set looking pair of eyes.
If you are just starting out with eyeliners, try using pencil/crayon-like type of eyeliners. You would need to first master the curves on your eyelids as well as your eye shape and probably need to get used to applying make up on your eyes before you can advance on.
Once you can the hang of it, you may wish to try out a more challenging task – that is to create the cat’s eye effects!
Forget about eyeshadows, these cat eye effects would perfect the look!
Famous for her sexy pouty lips, Angelina Jolie does make effort on her eye make up as well to punch in more oomph into her sexiness. She has applied a line layer of eyeliner on her eyelids and winged it out towards the end. This is the basic looking cat eye effects that help to attract the limelight without stealing the focus on her lips. This belongs to the milder version of the cat eye effects.
Of course, depending on the choice of look and event, you may also wish to go bold with a dramatic look with cat eye effects by using ultra black eyeliners and thickening the lines drawn, especially on the side of the eyes, just like the signature look of the late Amy Winehouse.
If you are facing some difficulties perfecting that flick, here are some useful tips which you may consider trying out :
1. Using a cotton swab with a bit of lotion in an upward and outward motion from underneath the line will get you the sharp, cat-eye finish
2. Another useful trick is to use a piece of paper or if it’s too flimsy, use a name card instead. Similarly, you may also use this trick for the application of mascara on your lower lashes, preventing any stains. When placing the card on your face, position it at a 45 degree slant.
3. If holding the paper/name card on one hand and applying eyeliner on the other is too much of a hassle, try considering sticking tapes at the side of your eyes. This would provide you with ample assistance with the use of both hands when drawing the eyeliner. Also, remember the 45 degree rule.
4. Bearing in mind that point 2 and 3 would create a straight V-look like Amy Winehouse’s cat eye effects, some ladies would prefer a more natural look by curving out the flick instead. These curves can mesmerise men as well, providing a more sulty and flirty look.
5. You need to balance out the level of the flicks on both eyes and this can be tricky. Besides pasting sticky tapes onto your face, you may also stick the tape horizontally on your mirror of sufficient length for the width of your face, reaching one end of the eye to another. You then position the reflection of your face above the sticker tape so that the start of the extensions with either the straight V-look or the curve effects are on the same level as each other.
6. After you’ve got the start of the extensions settled, the other challenge would be to balance the ends of the eyeliner. Now, this can be rather tricky as well but having a mark which indicates the level you should try until would help as well. Don’t immediately remove the sticker tape on your mirror once you are done. Position yourself at the lower bottom of the sticker tape so that the tape is now positioned above your eye. Balance it out by adjusting your height according to the side that is completed with the eyeliner.
7. If you are using pencil/crayon-like eyeliners, be sure to sharpen them before drawing. This is especially important because the ends of the cat eye effects should gradually decrease in thickness ending with sharp edges. Drawing with blunt eyeliners will not create the cat eye effects as the ends would be rounded instead of sharp.
8. Do not use both pencil and liquid eyeliners or pencil and gel-like eyeliners together as the stark difference will be obvious, although it would be easier to draw the extensions at the ends with a liquid eyeliner. So stick only to one.
9. If you have not mastered the sharp edges yet, don’t fret. Instead, your dark grey eye shadows can now come in handy, creating the smoking eye effect. Since you will need to blend at the ends of the eyes, it would not be obvious if your ends are not perfectly sharp.10. To create the full cat eye effect, you would need to apply multiple coats of black mascara, especially paying attention to the longest lashes at the outer corners of your eyes for a super sultry look that is truly the cat’s meow.
And don’t just stick to the boring usual black eyeliners, go different, dramatic and adventurous with glitters and colours!
Have fun exploring and perfecting that flick! And remember, perfection is all about practice!